Sunday, 23 August 2009

My first night in the new digs.

Let's just say it was a bit of a surprise when I got to my new house and there was no ceiling on the shower and no door on either the toilet or the shower.

The house is in a very pleasant location and my host family, thus far has been nothing but hospitable. My room has a bed, a mosquito net, a mini bed stand that the Matt prior to me made, a table a two chairs, one which is holding my luggage/dresser of the ground. My host mother's name is Soulange (which I mentioned earlier), and there's Gran and Alix (I think that's it, but the pronunciation is a bit different). I'm not particularly clear what it was, but the second Soulange put the biggest plate of spaghetti and hotdog on my desk last night, I completely broke down and didn't eat any of it. Dinner is served in my bedroom at a little table with a chair. Eating alone, and not being hungry, and dirty and basically aimless, I had what you could say a meltdown.

Ha, the funny thing is I tried closing the door, but I got a knock and it was Soulange asking me if I was sleeping. No, then open the door. Oh man, I was totally embarrassed not only becuase I had red puffy eyes, but I didn't eat any of the gigantic plate of pasta she made me. That's when i decided to go take a shower at the guest house, a 30-min walk away, with about 45 min of sunlight left.

The shower has no windows, so I had to leave the door open, which was fine because only the older guard was around. Shower good, phone call to sister, good. Walk home, dark. I knew where I was going , but not really where to turn off. There was a woman with a chair on her head who asked where I was going and I told her, and she walked with me for awhile, and before she turned off, she shouted at someone behind us.

After walking for awhile, a man starts walking up behind me with a bottle in his hand, and I thought, well if he was going to do something, he would have already. Anyway, it turned out to be Javan's host father, and he walked me home. Oh and I forgot to mention it was lightening the entire way home, illuminating the path momentarily as I walked. Right as I got home, the whole family was out and waiting for me. Oops. And it started to rain.

Javan came over, and we chatted for awhile, and then right before he left, with lamp on his head, he lit up the biggest spider I've ever seen on my wall. He killed it, but needless to say, I was sitting in my bed for the rest of the night listening to every single sound from bug, animal or whatever else was out there. At one point there was something bright flying around and it scared the shit out of me because I was like, who's in my room. Ah, duh, it's a lightening bug.

Anyway, this is super long, and if you made it this far, good job. I think if it doesn't start raining soon, there's a soccer game in town. So, that should be exciting. Again, as for photos, I'll take some more, and then load them all up at one time. Ok, ciao ciao.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate, I just wanted to say that Aria just told me about your blog and I am so excited to be able to follow your adventures this way. It reads like a great adventure novel. I'm very proud of what you are doing. Please know that I'm sending you my best vibes for an extraordinary year. Take care and keep blogging. Ciao Barb Cabot/Aria's mom